"Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him."
In essential beliefs, we have unity. In non-essential beliefs, we have liberty. In all our beliefs, we show love.
These represent the most simple and foundational beliefs of Christian orthodoxy and capture the basic contours of Christian theology. They are also what we would consider "close-handed" issues. Anyone pursuing membership at Capstone must affirm these statements. You can read our full Statement Of Faith and a more detailed explanation of what we believe here.
Throughout history, God has been writing a story of hope and redemption for all the world. His story explains why things aren’t the way they were meant to be, what He has done about it, and how He promises to one day set all things right. We are participants in this unfolding narrative of God's good purposes for His creatures and His creation. Amazingly, God has given us a role to play in His story!
God created the world. We, His creatures, rebelled. But God, in unfathomable grace, sent His Son Jesus as the sacrifice for our sins. Through faith in Jesus Christ, we have been forgiven of our sins, welcomed as sons and daughters, and strengthened by His Spirit to live lives that reflect His goodness and love. Redeemed by God, not to sit idly by and wait to escape this earth, but to be agents of change and restoration in our world. We are empowered by the hope of King Jesus' return and we rejoice that God will one day make all things new!
At the heart of all sound doctrine is the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and the infinite privilege that redeemed sinners have in glorifying God because of what He has accomplished. Simply put, this is Jesus’ church, commissioned to accomplish Jesus’ mission. We are convinced that Jesus is better than ANYTHING this world has to offer, so we can’t help but talk about Him!
- The Bible is the true, authoritative and sufficient word of God and points to Jesus as our only hope.
- There is only one true and living God who eternally exists in 3 persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- God created man in His image and all things for His glory.
- All humanity is sinful by both birth and action. The deserved penalty for sin is physical and spiritual death.
- Heaven and Hell are real places.
- Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God. He was born of a virgin and is both fully God and fully human. Trusting in His finished work (life, death and resurrection) is the only way to be made right before God.
- Salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone and is maintained by the power of God, not the self-effort of the Christian.
- The Holy Spirit gives gifts to His children and guides us in our daily lives.
- All who have trusted in Jesus for their salvation have also been commissioned to make Him known.
- Jesus Christ will one day return to establish His kingdom.